Episode 26: CHRO, Steve Schloss
E26: Steve Schloss is Chief People Officer at the United States Golf Association (USGA).
He is an accomplished business leader, coach, advisor, and trusted partner with the board and CEO.
He is also a strategic advisor plus a leadership and team consultant.
For over three decades he has built, scaled, and transformed global organizations including LivePerson, Time Inc, and Citigroup. He’s also served as an adjunct faculty member at the New School in New York City.
WHAT YOU'LL DISCOVER FROM THIS EPISODE:
- The biggest surprise Steve had when he became Chief People Officer of the USGA.
- Why Steve describes the USGA as a "125-year old start up".
- The single skill that’s helped Steve accelerate his career to the C-Suite.
- The benefit of a growth mindset and how to instill it in your team.
- How to use your golf game to develop your growth mindset.
- The transformation that happened when Steve decided to take “ownership” of his career.
- How Steve knew he was burned out and what he did to conquer it.
- How you can burnout and still like your job.
- A counter-intuitive idea: Working on some projects outside your organization makes you a better employee inside your organization.
- How employee turnover can be good…even great.
- How to use music to fuel your work day.
- Steve’s favorite podcasts and where and how he listens to them.
- Steve’s passion for music and the bands he’s listening to most today.
Signs that you are burned out:
- Your physical body declines and gains weight.
- Bad attitude.
- Decline in emotional health.
Recommendations for an underrepresented group in C-Suite:
- Identify and develop a personal board of directors.
- You need to prioritize your personal learning.
“Coaching as a skill set inside an organization or as being a professional coach, is not a soft skill. It’s a skill that’s necessary for today’s business world.”
“What’s really important in a sense of being a coach or consultant is being current in thinking and being able to look into the future.”
- Van Halen
- Miles Davis
- Chick Corea
- ECM Jazz
- Michael Kiwanuka
- Billy Eilish
- Black Keys