Stewart Chisam

Start considering gamers as leaders for your teams. You might not expect it, but gamers are perfect for leadership roles. They've often been studying strategy, problem solving, and teamwork which is invaluable when you're trying to run an organization or team.

They are also accustomed to coordinating teams in a remote environment to accomplish a unifying mission! Sounds a lot like leadership, right?

I hosted Stewart Chisam on the show who is CEO of Hi-Rez Studios, a video game developer and publisher based near Atlanta, Georgia.

You'll discover why gamers make such great leaders plus a key leadership from the gaming world that makes you a more effective leader.

In case you don't know, Hi-Rez Studios is the company that created the hit games Tribes: Ascend and Smite.

They have 450 employees across the globe, and more than 125 million people have played Hi-Rez games on PC, console and mobile phones. It’s now one of the largest video game studios in the Southeast United States. Prior to joining Hi-Rez, Stewart served in senior leadership positions at BlueCube Software, RedPrairie Corporation, and Radiant Systems.

Stewart's LinkedIn profile

Hi-Rez Studios' website

WHAT YOU'LL DISCOVER IN THIS EPISODE:

Stew’s interesting career path from banking to becoming CEO in the gaming industry.

Three things to consider when weighing a big career decision.

How a background in economics uniquely prepared him to lead a gaming company.

The one trait he’d instill in every employee… an entrepreneurial mindset.

Why adding constraints/framework to the creative process can boost creative freedom.

Why gamers often make GREAT remote employees.

The three skills that gamers pick up, which help them succeed in the workplace.

Why the cost of turnover is so high in the creative industry.

The best game you should start with… if you’re not a gamer today.

QUOTES:

“Fight through bottlenecks instead of using them as an excuse.”

“Don’t be afraid to take charge, even when you’re lower on the org chart.”

“Don’t let the last 1% ruin the other 99% of the work you’ve put in.”

-------------------

Apply to be on the show

-------------------

Connect with the Host, #1 bestselling author, Ben Fanning:

Speaking and Training Enquiries

Subscribe to my YouTube channel

On LinkedIn

On Instagram 

On Twitter